It is hard to stay motivated isn’t it?
You have the best intentions. Your brain is in overdrive while you are wiping yogurt off the face of your 3 year-old or putting on the third load of washing for the day but when you sit down to your computer…nothing.
Is it worth even trying?
Yes! It so is!
Keeping your creative steam pumping lets YOU remain in the picture. Not what is left of you after 16 hours of mummydom. It is just keeping that motivation to keep plugging on that is the hard part.
There are lots of ways to stay motivated but here are my 20 favourites which just might help you too.
1. Read a magazine. My favourites for creative motivation are The Collective, Frankie and Yen. They are filled with inspiring people, photography and stories. Yen is maybe a little young but I still think I am in my 20’s (shh!) and love its vibe.
2. Focused cleaning. If everything is everywhere in the house it is the same for head. By focused cleaning I mean pick an area and then clean like Rosie from The Jetsons, hard and fast. Even if I make just one area spotless it calms my overwhelmed brain.
4. Go for a walk. Simple but true. A walk gets the blood flowing and the brain focused.
5. Watch Keeping Up With The Kardashians. Ok, stay with me on this one. The Kardashians are fierce, entrepreneurial women. Watching them do their thing pumps me up and makes me hungry. They are always eating! Oh and I have a need to do squats.
6. Watch Fashion Bloggers. Similar to number 5. These girls are kicking ass and working hard for it.
7. Step back and just simply play with the kids. Lucky for me I live my blogging niche so for some motivation and inspiration I just need to go about my business focusing on the present moment with the kids. The ideas will come, just make sure you have a pen and paper or Evernote close by to grab them.
8. Do NOT read like blogs. When I am lacking motivation reading other blogs that are similar to Calm to Conniption is not going to help me. I love so many creative, lovely ladies and gents in the blogosphere and they are kicking huge goals on the creativity front but comparison is a motivation crusher. Create before you consume.
9. Make a cup of tea or other warming drink. Even Summer in the tropics couldn’t take me away from my cup of tea. There is just something so comforting about it.
10. Listen to meditones. I can never find the time to meditate but with meditones I find it super easy to tune out all my other swirling thoughts even if it is just for 10 minutes.
11. Learn something new from YouTube. I have a perfect example of this. Today I wanted to attempt something new and film Ari (3) and I reviewing a product which we did and had fun but when I got to editing it I become disheartened because I had no idea what I was doing. 40 minutes and 1 YouTube tutorial later I was editing and super motivated by doing something new. Keep your eyes peeled for the coming finished product!
12. Send someone a postcard. This one helps keep me motivated because it makes me happy plus it is simply a nice thing to do for someone.
13. Jump on Pinterest. Pinterest is the funnest form of social media, don’t you think? Yes it sucks time like a fat kid with a chocolate milkshake but it is filled with fantastic things and inspirational pins that keep me motivated to keep on creating.
14. Ring a friend that you know pumps you up. I am lucky to have a few people in my life that really pump me up. They don’t do anything intentionally it is just them. They are grabbing life by the horns and I always walk away a bit like that final scene from The Breakfast Club. You know the one…
15. Book something to look forward to. It always makes me happy when I have something to look forward to. At the moment I have a conference next week and then ProBlogger in August so I am super motivated to keep creating good things and pushing my boundaries. Having something on the horizon always will keep you going. It could be a training event, a conference or simply a catch up with other like-minded people.
16. Organise my diary. A tidy diary can beat overwhelm and help keep you on track. Get rid of all those pieces of paper tucked in there. Write those notes where they are supposed to be.
17. Jump on TED. I will often jump onto TED and search what I need, be it motivation, inspiration, humour or there is a button called Hidden Gems I sometimes click. The people on TED are there for a reason, they excel at what they do and will inspire you to do the same.
18. Get outside and lay on the grass. Remember watching the clouds as a kid? It is still really cool to do it as an adult.
19. Colour in. Adult colouring in books are all the rage at the moment and you can pick them up really easily. It is like a visual, methodical meditation.
20. Simply believe in yourself. Easier said then done right? But believe in yourself because you are essentially the only person who needs to.
What do you do to stay motivated?