You are probably reading this title and saying to yourself, “I bloody know what I would be doing with some kids free time!” and pulling out a to-do list that is an unachievable A4 sheet!
I now get one day a week where my kids have somewhere else to be and I am alone.
I actually don’t like saying “one day” because it’s not, it’s 5 hours. 5 hours, which also includes sustaining yourself with some form of food, doesn’t last long.
This past week I have not been at my mental peak. I would actually have to say I was below the half way mark. Way below. Nothing work related, or anything I could pinpoint. It was just that my mean girl had taken over.
Anything could trigger me into an internal anxiety attack, and it did. By day three and after an attack that escaped to the external realm, I was finally able to rationalise with myself and curb my thoughts.
Day four was my child free “day”.
I pulled out MY to-do list on an unachievable A4 sheet and thought…
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING YOURSELF!
My hair hadn’t been washed for so long it felt like I had lice. My legs were at a weird, sparse, hairy situation. I was tired, I was drained and I was drawn to ditching that to-do list.
This is what I did instead…
- I grabbed my phone and chose a Spotify playlist. My selection was this one.
- I played it loud in the bathroom while I had a shower and washed my hair. I double shampooed!! Best feeling ever.
- Then I shaved my legs, but before I did, I put a new shaver head on the razor… Who does that!?!
- I got out of the shower and didn’t put any clothes on. There are no images to go with this post and I apologise for any that form in your head.
- I took off the old chipped nail polish on my toes and painted them my favourite dark red.
- I put a clear coat on my fingernails.
- I combed a leave-in conditioner through my hair that I just had to buy for the smell of it one day long ago at my hairdresser.
- I found one of those mini samples of hydrating face mask in the bottom of my bathroom draw (when I was getting the new shaver head) and put it on. It wasn’t great for my zits I had acquired from the past weeks antics but I didn’t care and I left it on for longer than it was supposed to!
- I grabbed my headphones, picked out a really long meditation on my iPod and just sat. Yep, still naked.
- Then I snoozed.
Now, getting naked wasn’t my main point here.
What is, is taking time out to do the things you don’t have to do. Oh my buddha, did I love my day!
Well, you know, my 2 hours of the 5 hours that I had kid free.
If I had just kept going and started ticking shit off that list I would have still sat on that same level of depression. Nothing changed just better than I was the day before.
Instead, giving myself a few hours of nothing was everything to boost me back up.
I didn’t set out to get my kit off and paint myself with a hydrating gel. That Spotify playlist and washing hair combo was my gateway drug. Man, it was good!
And you know what happened when I didn’t get any of the things done from that to-do list that day?
Nothing, nothing happened.
What is something random that you love doing?
Did anyone else do these things from my day in their teenage years? It was kinda my norm. Probably with more clothes on, you know, modesty and all that!
You can find all the Mummy Soul Sessions here.
Want more Calm to Conniption? Subscribe to my fortnightly newsletter and get some pretty freaking cool motivating mini posters to print yourself.