There was a morning, last week, when I woke up after a broken night sleep in a nasty funk.
The day before I was fine, I had it together.
The day before that, I knew I had a few things to do but nothing overwhelming.
That morning, the sky was falling Chicken Little!
How do I do it all?
My kids (the one external and the one internal) and my husband are definitely my number one priority. They always will be. But what about the things I want to do? Finish that book that is taking me forever to get through, but I’m completely loving. Chat to my lovelies on Calm to Conniption and make cool things for you to download. Bake yummy goodies to share with loved one. Shave my hairy-ass legs! WHERE IS THE TIME!!
Call me crazy but I also love having a spotless home and clean floors really float my boat. But when??
How do I fit them in without dropping the ball on something else.
This conniption may be the effect of an extremely protruding baby bump highlighting things are going to get worse before they get better. Change is, again, a-coming.
The conundrum I was facing in my head was, to save my sanity, do I just submit to the knowing that time for me is no longer the way. That I should just stop the things I love doing that are really just for me, to give my all to everyone else.
Now I must point out that I really love making my family happy and being on top of things in the home also gives me great joy. My time management skills just suck!
My whiney self got a good slap around lunch time that day.
No one was asking me to give anything up.
No one was telling me what I had to do.
No one cared that there was a blob of teriyaki sauce still on the pantry floor from three nights ago.
No one except me.
Oh that Mummy guilt plays me hard but I have to also keep myself going with things that stimulate me.
Practical Karin came along and started filling in the hole I had dug myself that morning with words of wisdom and harsh realities. What was I going to do to learn to juggle life, while trying not to look like a clown.
So here it is! My list on how I am going to get my shit together and stop being a whiney, sook girl:
1. Use my diary and schedule. Plan chunks of time for things like blogging and cleaning instead of trying to do everything all at the one time. I am going to use my diary for the old school as well as iCalendar because often my planning happens while I am forced to wait for appointments.
2. Stick to the schedule. Durh! I mentioned a few great posts I read about blogging and planning a schedule in this weeks link list. There is no point planning a schedule and then not sticking to it. Slap! Slap!
3. Be present. Don’t be making PlayDoh whales while trying to check Instagram, while moaning about all the little pieces of purple going all over the floor. Make the whale, damn it, and enjoy it!
4. Tools down by 9pm. There may be exceptions to this rule when the Mr is at work but otherwise switch off. I’m not saving the world here.
5. Write it down. If something pops into my head just write it down and go back to what I am doing. Sometimes I will repeat things over and over again in my head just to make sure they stay there for later. They never do. Ok maybe I need a Psych!?
6. Get over it! If it doesn’t happen, it doesn’t happen. Life will go on. Martha Stewart ain’t going to turning up on your doorstep any time soon and if Maggie Beer does, get the dame a nice glass of red and ask her to whip you up some of her sour cream pastry (how good is that stuff!).
What do you do to try to keep all your balls in the air?
Have you given Maggie’s pastry a crack? You must!
Want more Calm to Conniption? Subscribe to my fortnightly newsletter and get some pretty freaking cool motivating mini posters to print yourself.